Gyeonggi Foreigner Problem?
Gyeonggi Province is requiring ALL FOREIGNERS to get COVID-19 tests by March 22nd or face fines. Is this for the public good or security theater? Why all foreigners and why only foreigners? How does this contribute to Korea’s history of labeling foreigners as diseased?
The LH scandal
The amazing award-winning film “Minari”
Support us on Patreon to get more goodies
Administrative Order for Corona 19 Diagnosis Test for Foreign Workers and Employers with Foreigners
COVID-19 clusters in factory dormitories in Namyangju
- Haphazard communication
- No clear lines if it’s all foreigners or foreigners working in certain industries
- Employers are responsible for communication, but workers bear brunt of punishment
- How do they know?
- Is this a public health strategy or a PR strategy?
- A history of image before substance — Appear to do something without actually doing something — It’s all for show
- Are they also testing Korean workers at those facilities?
- Are Korean family members of foreign workers required to be tested?
- Gyeonggi’s defense
- They have tested Coupang centers and churches, too
- Recent history of oopsies with foreigners this past year
- Free masks campaign
- Financial support campaign
- Each time they were brought to task, they used the excuse that they weren’t aware–that they didn’t mean to do it. And now they’ve done it again!
- The foreign community is uniquely sensitive to disease-related discrimination
- AIDS requirement that went to the Human Rights Council
- 2009 H1N1 Swine Flu
- News programs and articles about diseased foreigners
- Itaewon in May
Guest: Sean Lim (The Seoulite) Get out your needles. Wet your tongues. Sean Lim joins us and tugs his weight in talking about Squid Game episodes 3 and 4. --Please Follow-- Website: https://seoulpodcast.com Podcast: https://www.buzzsprout.com/960226 Twitter:...
Guest: Michael Hurt (Translator for “The Host”) We talk about the first two episodes of the hit Netflix series “Squid Game.” Our guest Michael Hurt (Translator for “The Host”) discusses issues in translating and subtitling. https://youtu.be/2ZQZEgjU5FA --Please...
Mad Cow. Sewol. Celebrity Bullying. Fan Death. Korea’s news industry is prolific, but the most common observation from international journalists working with South Korean media is its lack of professionalism and ethics. The ruling party is about to pass an...